By Suzanne R., PhD Kunkel,Leslie A., PhD Morgan
"[This] book’s unfading preoccupation with social context, social tactics, and social constructions distinguishes itself and vastly contributes to the discourse in gerontology."
This vintage textual content, now in its 5th variation, is unusual by way of its emphasis on social context, social procedures, and social buildings as a part of a broader knowing of the sociology of getting older and the existence direction. providing an goal view of the realities of getting older, either confident and unfavorable, the ebook examines getting older from micro/macro, own, neighborhood, societal, and international views. This 5th variation describes vital alterations within the box of social gerontology and the expansion in such themes as range, international getting older, and the lifestyles direction. It addresses significant shifts in public coverage, social associations, and aging-related programming projects. there's a robust specialise in the altering panorama of getting older, relatively in regard to social engagement, employment and lifetime studying, better healthiness and independence, and livable groups for individuals of every age. also, the publication comprises new details at the cheap Care Act and end-of-life issues.
The textual content is uniquely geared up, that includes theoretical discussions in each one bankruptcy and topical essays among chapters. severe considering and evaluation questions foster an in-depth figuring out of the cloth. Written in an attractive type, the textual content is for graduate and upper-level undergraduate scholars; it's also used successfully in introductory gerontology periods. as well as an Instructor's handbook, the 5th variation now contains energy- element slides
NEW TO THE 5th EDITION:
- Provides up-to-date info on getting older and child boomers within the usa and worldwide
- Presents improved specialise in child boomers' influence at the greater society
- Discusses significant public coverage alterations and leading edge providers and courses affecting older adults
- Uses distinctive examples to demonstrate the demanding situations of checking out age, interval, and cohort results in examine on aging
- Covers the cheap Care Act and up to date details on Medicare
- Features new info on end-of-life issues
- Presents provocative essays on confident and modern matters now not regularly coated, together with love, intercourse, creativity, media representations, LGBT getting older, and crime
- Focuses on superior well-being and independence and aging-in-place initiatives
- Provides studying ambitions in every one bankruptcy and web-based extracurricular activities
- Includes PowerPoint slides as well as an Instructor's Manual
Read or Download Aging, Society, and the Life Course, Fifth Edition PDF
Similar gerontology books
With the approaching retirement of a few seventy six million child Boomers, figuring out the commercial, political, and social concerns regarding the getting older inhabitants is paramount. If the doom-and-gloomers have their means, the aged might be positioned out to pasture, with insufficient overall healthiness care and monetary assets, and a crumbling social welfare approach.
Esta obra dá visibilidade à Gerontologia Social Crítica e amplia a contribuição do Serviço Social Crítico no campo da saúde coletiva. Isso significa que é um fecundo exercício crítico e reflexivo sobre a reprodução social na velhice na sociabilidade do capital, na sociedade do fetiche.
Opposed to a heritage of discussion round worldwide getting older and what this implies when it comes to the long run care desire of older humans, this e-book addresses key matters in regards to the nature and location of care and care-giving. Following a severe evaluation of analysis into who cares, the place and the way, it makes use of geographical views to offer a finished research of ways the intersection of casual care-giving inside of household, group and home care houses can create advanced landscapes and organizational spatialities of care.
Dr. Robert N. Butler coined the time period ageism” and made Alzheimer's” a well-recognized observe. Now he brings his ambitious wisdom to a contemporary and remarkable fulfillment: the extension of human lifestyles expectancy through thirty years, and the transforming into variety of humans over age sixty-five. Alarmingly, our society has now not tailored to this alteration.
- Contesting Elder Abuse and Neglect: Ageism, Risk, and the Rhetoric of Rights in the Mistreatment of Older People
- Evaluation and Treatment of the Psychogeriatric Patient
- Aging and the Religious Dimension
- Annual Review of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Volume 32, 2012: Emerging Perspectives on Resilience in Adulthood and Later Life (Annual Review of Gerontology & Geriatrics)
Additional info for Aging, Society, and the Life Course, Fifth Edition